We have talked about Shared Hosting and Dedicated Hosting in the previous article. These two hosting packages have their own requirements and criteria. There is another term in web hosting, called cloud hosting which has been exponential growth in the web hosting industry. In this article, we are going to explain cloud hosting, its feature, pros and cons in simple terms.
What is Cloud Hosting?
The concept of cloud hosting is different from shared hosting and dedicated hosting. Cloud hosting is a type of hosting where multiple servers located in a different location is used to maximize the uptime. The concept and popularity of cloud hosting have grown exponentially in recent years.
Concept of Cloud – Cloud is combination of multiple servers from different locations connected through internet that provides endless processing power and storage space. Cloud can be accessed from anywhere at anytime.
Note – Cloud is also consists of physical real hardware, located somewhere but spread across different locations, connected throug internet in the form of cloud.
As the name suggests, cloud hosting is new and effective terms.
How Cloud Hosting Works?
Cloud Hosting distributes the file, data, and resources across the different servers and acts as a single resource. Resources include hard disk space, CPU and RAM and other necessary files and software. These resources can be accessed through the internet at the time of need from anywhere in the world. It uses innovative technology to distribute these resources which can be easily upgraded and downgraded.
The architecture of Cloud Hosting
In the distributed approach of cloud hosting, each website is “distributed” across multiple locations. So, you do not face any downtime in case of one hardware failure. Large websites like search engines, social networking sites, and popular news sites use the distributed approach of cloud hosting. Because no single server could handle such huge traffic. But in most cases, big companies like these either build their own cloud hosting architecture or hire resources from a cloud hosting provider.
Cloud Hosting Advantages
- Flexible Pricing – The best thing about using cloud hosting is you pay for only resources you have used.
- Scalable – You can easily scale up and scale down the resources.
- High Uptime – Because cloud hosting does not affect by one hardware failure, you experience high uptime in cloud hosting.
- Better Performance – Distributed resources provide better performance on the website.
- Simple to Configure – Configuring and managing the cloud hosting control panel is easy. You can easily keep track of your hosting and scale it on demand via an intuitive dashboard.
When To Use Cloud Hosting?
Cloud Hosting is a good choice for large corporate businesses whose business entirely depends on the website and its traffic. Many of the large corporations are shifting towards cloud hosting as it is easy to scale up when needed.
Talking about cloud hosting, it will be more effective in the following cases
- If you have a mission-critical business (company can’t function without website)
- Large e-commerce website
- If you expect to have a huge amount of traffic in ew future such as for news portal website
- High traffic projects
- Lead generation websites